top of page

Check Your Mail - It's Time to File!

It's February 1st, and you’re ready to file your taxes — except for one thing: You’re still awaiting an IRS Form W-2 from an employer.

Each January, companies issue W-2s to inform workers, and Uncle Sam, of the amount of money the worker made during the previous year and how much in income, Social Security, and Medicare tax was withheld. If you file without all of your W-2s, it could delay the processing of your return — and the arrival of any refund.

Federal law requires employers to send W-2s to workers by Jan. 31 each year or a few days later if the end of the month falls on a weekend. If you're ready to file - CLICK HERE to book your appointment today.

If you're still waiting on your earnings statement, here are six steps you can take.

1. Check your calendar

If you’re expecting a refund, you probably want it as soon as possible. But technically, your employer meets the Jan. 31 delivery date requirement as long as it gets your W-2 in the mail by Jan. 31. If your company didn't drop your W-2 into a U.S. Postal Service box until the very last day of the month, it could still be on its way to you during the first days of February.

2. Search your email

Many companies now give workers electronic access to company documents, including tax statements. While most won't actually email your W-2 because of security concerns, they will send you an email notification that you can go to the company's employee portal and download your earnings statement. If that message hasn’t appeared in your inbox, check your spam folder.

3. Call your company

If you’re well into February and there's still no W-2 in your email or mailbox, it's time to touch base with your company's payroll or human resources department. Your employer might have the wrong address for you, and your W-2 may have bounced back as undeliverable. In that case, correcting your address and asking your employer to reissue the document can solve the problem.

4. Contact the IRS

If you find yourself deep into February without your W-2, it's time to get the IRS involved. If your efforts to get a copy from your employer have proved fruitless, call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040 or visit a local taxpayer assistance center (TAC). During that call or visit, you'll need:

  • Your name, address, phone number, and Social Security number.

  • Your employer's name, address, and phone number.

  • The dates you worked for the employer.

  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld last year. Your last pay stub of the tax year should have these amounts.

The IRS will contact your workplace with this information about the missing tax document.

5. File without a W-2

This is NOT RECOMMENDED, but it might be your only option. Filing without a W-2 will slow down the processing of your return, but that might be preferable to waiting for your company to get you another copy. It's also an option if your employer went out of business and you can't track it down to request W-2 data.

In this case, you can submit Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage, and Tax Statement, with your return. This document asks you to estimate your wages and taxes withheld last year. Again, your final pay stub can help provide these figures.

6. Request more time to file

If you want to wait for your official W-2, you may need to request more time to file your tax return. Filing Form 4868 will give you an automatic six-month extension to file your 1040.

An extension only gives you more time to file your tax forms. It is not an extension to pay any tax you owe. You must estimate how much tax you owe and include that amount with Form 4868. Interest and penalties may apply if you pay less than what you actually owe, so take your estimate seriously.

Regardless of your approach, file your return or extension request by the tax-filing deadline. If your official earnings statement arrives after you've filed your taxes, you can amend your tax return to reflect the accurate amount.

0 views0 comments


bottom of page